How to calculate GPA in Pakistan
Grade point average, often known as “average grade point,” is referred to as GPA. It represents your semester grade. The letters A, B, C, D, E, and F in the alphabet stand in for the grades, and each grade is assigned a specific number of points that, when added to the credit hours for each course, yield the GPA. Universities all across the world use it to grade pupils.
GPA calculation formula
The grade points and credit hours for each course you took during a semester are all that are required to calculate your GPA.
This means that you must double each course’s credit hours by the grade point attained therein. Then add them all together and divide the result by the number of credits that semester. And there is your GPA!
Here is the formula on how to calculate GPA in Pakistan
GPA= Total credit hours∑(Grade point×Credit hours) / Total Credit Hours \
Step to step procedure
- Convert your grades for each course in a semester to grade points using a grade scale chart. For instance, on a 4-point scale, A is 4, B+ is 3.5, and so on.
- Next, multiply each grade point by the credit hours for the corresponding course. The usual courses offered in universities of Pakistan are of 3 credit hours unless they have a practical lab as well, then they may have 4 credit hours for that course.
- Sum up each result from step two.
- Next, divide the sum from step 3 by the total number of credit hours studied in the semester.
- The result is your GPA.
Grade Scale Chart
Four-point GPA scale
The four-point GPA scale is the most commonly used for a GPA out of four. It means the highest you can score is 4, which corresponds to an A grade.
For instance, let’s say that your grades are A, B+, A-, B, and B, and that each course had 3 credit hours. The grade points of these grades would be 4, 3.3, 3.7, 3, and 3, respectively. So:
GPA=∑(Grade point×Credit hours)/Total credit hours
=(4×3)+(3.3×3)+(3.7×3)+(3×3)+(3×3)/ 3 hours×5 courses
How is cGPA different from GPA?
The average grade point a student receives over a semester is known as their GPA. Your grades for that particular semester are given. cGPA stands for cumulative GPA. The overall GPA for all completed semesters is shown. Your cumulative GPA (cGPA) is the GPA you receive when you complete your degree, but it also takes into account the GPA you receive each semester.
How to calculate your CGPA
To determine your cGPA from your GPA, follow the steps below:
- Multiply your GPA by the total number of credit hours each semester.
- Sum the results from step one.
- Sum the total credits each semester or sum all credits earned.
- Divide the result of step 2 by step 3.
- The result is your cGPA.