Future Energy landscape given that it has already used up 66.6% of its natural gas reserves and 79.8% of its total oil reserves. According to a report from the Petroleum Division that was provided to the Pakistani Attorney General (AGP), Pakistan has consumed 985 million barrels of the entire 1,234 million barrels of oil, or 79.8% of the total. Reserves now contain 249 million barrels. The Petroleum Division estimates that Balochistan has utilized up about 13% of its oil reserves. Punjab has used 84%, Sindh 84.5, and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) 64 percent of the country’s resources.
Pakistan is a significant gas producer that supplies its local needs. Despite being self-sufficient in the past, the nation has been importing liquefied natural gas since 2015 due to political concerns and the development of gas delivery systems (LNG).
According to the Petroleum Division’s study, Pakistan has used 66.6% of its natural gas so far, leaving 33.4% untapped. Since 2000, exploration and production (E&P) firms have not been able to significantly increase gas production or produce significant finds.
26% of the world’s recoverable gas reserves are still in Balochistan, 40% are in K-P, and 35% are in Sindh.
Natural gas is the main energy source in Pakistan. Its own gas reserves are 33%, 10%, and 1%, respectively (LPG)
Over the past few years, domestic resources have been impacted by a 5% yearly rise in natural gas demand.
AGP observed that the Petroleum Division’s assessment revealed that a rapid depletion of existing reserves, with no substantial discoveries since 2001, was the principal cause of the widening imbalance between the country’s demand and supply of natural gas.
There is now a 0.125 tcf net shortage. The supply of gas can be reduced, or the pressure on various economic sectors can be managed. Has made no notable discoveries since 2001.
Leave a Reply